Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Gift

Our house is about 900 square feet, that includes the garage. It sits between (by between, I mean we share walls with) 3 houses, one of which functions as a chinese restaurant. Across the street is a grass parking lot, with a garbage dump and port-a-potty on it sitting directly in front of our house. There is also a grocery store and 2 other restaurants sitting catty-corner from us. We also sit on about 2nd gear of the bus line (buses go by every 15-20 minutes from 5 am to 11 pm, everyday).  Without air conditioning, our windows remain open 24/7 and with all that surrounds us, it tends to be noisy. One night as some men were standing in front of our house talking and fixing their car, Jonathan and I were sitting on the couch and I said to him, "If I couldn't hear life going on outside my home, I think I would feel lonely." 

After more than 5 years of living in over-populated (India) or busy (the street on which our house sits in San Jose, Costa Rica) places, I have come to not only appreciate the differences of the places I've lived, but to need some of them. During our 8 months in the States (between India and Costa Rica), Jonathan and I only lived in our own space for 3 months, and they were lonely months to me. We lived in a nice little house on a quant street near friends and I was constantly trying to get out. I didn't necessarily realize it then, but looking back I can see that I longed to be near people and I realized it wasn't the way I grew up.  It wasn't a North American trait.

I was raised in a wonderful family, in beautiful homes, in great neighborhoods. But after not only experiencing, but living in and engaging in different cultures, I have found myself more like them in this respect of needing people near me.  And I have come to understand it as a gift. God has called me to these places and made ways for me to be a part of them for extended times so He gave me this gift.  He made me like them. 

It hasn't been easy and He is still molding me to become more like my neighbors in other ways....there are certainly areas that I am not like them! But He has done this work in me and I am thankful for that gift. I am thankful to be more Costa Rican, for now.


3 comments:

  1. love the blog guys! Amy, great post! You truly have a multi-cultural perspective on life, and that is a gift! I think your unique perspective will give you grace to speak into American lives........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff.
    Is it weird to say that I'm thankful you're a Costa Rican, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Just got your great letter and found out y'all have a blog. I told Joe and Tillman this and of course they knew about it from Facebook. Sorry I'm still out of the loop on that - can I add one more thing to my life??? LOVE seeing the pictures, reading the blog. We speak of you often and pray for y'all. We can't wait to have you back in Atlanta - it may not be as noisy as Costa Rica, but we can certainly give them a run for their money in our house. LOVE,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete